I’m going slightly mad
In 1966 I went to see two films in Croydon. One was Alfie, with Michael Caine in the title role. The other was Face of a stranger, about a released prisoner who impersonates his cellmate (still in prison) to his blind wife, in the hope of discovering where the loot from a robbery was hidden. To my recollection the part of the wife, Mary Bell, was played by Judi Dench, and it was the first film where I recalled seeing her name. Three years later I saw the film again, at the Missions to Seamen in Durban.
The name of Judi Dench came up in conversation, and I thought I would check to find out something about the film.
A Google search failed to find it.
It was as if had completely vanished, and had never been made.
I tried other seach engines, and eventually found a couple of references to the film. But it said that the part of Mary Bell was played by Rosemary Leach, not Judi Dench.
So where did I get the idea that Judi Dench had a role in Face of a stranger?
Perhaps it was some other film that I saw, but which one?
Here are films I saw in 1966
Does anyone know if Judi Dench acted in any of them?
- 12-Feb-1966, Saturday One spy too many.
- 16-Feb-1966, Wednesday The flight of the phoenix.
- 27-Feb-1966, Sunday A night to remember
- 3-Mar-1966, Thursday Bunny Lake is missing
- 4-Mar-1966, Friday The spy who came in from the cold.
- 12-Mar-1966, Saturday Thunderball. James Bond spy movie.
- 14-Mar-1966, Monday Rasputin the mad monk; The reptile.
- 26-Mar-1966, Saturday Judith
- 28-Mar-1966, Monday Our man Flint.
- 11-Apr-1966, Monday The great St Trinian’s train robbery.
- 2-May-1966, Monday 633 Squadron; The world of Henry Orient.
- 8-May-1966, Sunday Holly Communion; Fist in pocket.
- 21-May-1966, Saturday Alfie; Face of a stranger.
- 22-May-1966, Sunday Morgan, a suitable case for treatment
- 5-Jun-1966, Sunday Round the bend; Modesty Blaise.
- 19-Jun-1966, Sunday Tom Jones; Never on Sunday.
- 13-Jul-1966. Wednesday The wrong box.
- 27-Aug-1966, Saturday The great race
- 9-Sep-1966, Friday A fine madness
- 11-Sep-1966, Sunday Stage fright
- 12-Sep-1966, Monday The war game; Four in the morning
- 1-Oct-1966, Saturday Ten tall men
- 27-Oct-1966, Thursday The innocent sorcerers.
- 28-Oct-1966, Friday The seven samurai.
- 15-Nov-1966, Tuesday Arabesque.
- 16-Nov-1966, Wednesday Seven days in May.
- 8-Dec-1966, Thursday The trap
- 9-Dec-1966, Friday Viva Maria
- 26-Dec-1966, Monday A journey to the centre of the earth
- 28-Dec-1966, Wednesday Alice in wonderland
Judi Dench was apparently in a tv series called Talking To A Stranger during 1964 to 1966 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212698/.
Don’t remember it myself as I was only born in 1963.
I searched for the film again today, as I saw it exactly 50 years ago, and could not find it on Google at all. even though I searched for ‘”Face of a stranger” IMDb’. But Google did find my own blog post (this one), and entering the name of the actual actress, Rosemary Leach, did find it. I find it very odd that Google cannot find a film by its title. For anyone who may be looking for it, you can find the film here Face of a stranger, even if a direct Google search won’t find it.