I got a very weird message on Facebook, saying that my last post was spam and I should check it.
I then got this message:
Note, no information about the alleged “spam” message, but an invitation to download an unknown program and run it.
I advise anyone receiving such a message to ignore it, and warn others about it as well, and try to find out from “Facebook Site Governance” what is going on.
Tweet and retweet this, and share a link to this post on Facebook before you too are locked out.
I thought it might be useful to others to describe exactly what happened, in case they encounter the same thing.
- I got a “notification” that something I posted was suspected spam. It wasn’t clear if it was a post or a comment on someone else’s post. It said I could click on the notification to see the suspicious post.
- I wanted to see the suspicious post, because I wanted to see if it was something I had posted, or if it was someone else impersonating me. Several of my friends have had people impersonating them on Facebook in the past.
- I clicked on the notification, and was asked to log in to Facebook. That made sense. If someone was impersonating me, they would want to make sure it was actually me, rather than the impostor.
- But when I logged in, I was not shown the offending post, but the message shown above. That sounded all the alarm buzzers, like the terrain warning alarm on an aircraft flying too low “Terrain! Terrain! Pull up! Pull up!”
- This was not showing me a post that was suspected spam — it was asking me to download something to my computer.
- I copied the message displayed, and saved it, and then went out of Facebook, and tried to go in again afresh.
- It asked me to log in and then displayed the same message I had copied.
- I concluded that when I had logged in, expecting to see the spam message, they had stolen my password, and changed it, so I could no longer log in to Facebook.
- It was at that point that I thought I should warn others of this.
- I’m pretty sure that whatever it is they asking me to download is malware of some kind. So if you see a “notification” that something you’ve posted is suspected spam, whatever you do, don’t click on it!