One of those Telkom salespeople phoned a couple of months ago and offered us a faster Internet connection for an extra R100.00 a month, and it included free datadownloads between midnight and 6:00 am.
Since one son does computer animation which requires regular huge program updates, and the other likes to watch videos of motor racing, that seemed like a useful deal, so I signed up for it.
It came with a lot of other benefits. One was that it included Telkom-Telkom calls 24/7 instead of just during “CallMor” time. We don’t make many calls anyway, so it’s not really a benefit, but nice to know in case we need it.
But there were a lot of physical goodies too, which came in a big box.
The trouble is that there were no instructions, and only the barest descriptions, so we don’t know what half these things are, never mind how to use them, and for what.
So this is a plea for help: can anyone tell us what these things do, and if they are at all useful? Or do they just incur more liabilities?
Can we use any of them, or should we just advertise them for sale on an online auction site?
You can see the web page with the list of goodies here: Telkom Smarthome Premium ADSL.
And here are the goodies that came in the box:
- D-link ADSL Wi-Fi Router
- 3G Hauwei E5330 Mi-Fi Router
- Huawei Wi-Fi Range Extender
- Microsoft Office 365 (x2)
- SIM 1 with 1GB Data Every Month
- SIM 2 with 1GB Data Every Month
- SIM 3 with 100min Talk Time Every Month
- SIM 4 with 100min Talk Time Every Month
- Free DStv Explora
(1) The D-link ADSL Wi-Fi Router may be useful if our existing router gets struck by lightning.
(3) The Huawei Wi-Fi Range Extender may be useful for using laptops away from the router — is that what it does? How do we get it to work?
(2) 3G Hauwei E5330 Mi-Fi Router — Am I right in assuming that this could be used to connect to the Internet while travelling or during load shedding, using SIM cards (5) or (6)?
If so, it could be the most useful thing in the box. We’d just need to learn how to set it up and get it working.
(4) and (9) —Microsoft Office 365 and Free DStv Explora seem to be the gifts that go on taking, since it seems that you can’t use them without paying expensive monthly subscriptions. Should we try to sell them on an online auction site?
(7) & (8) the SIMs with 100min Talk Time Every Month seem to be useless without extra cell phones, or are they the kind that you can transfer your existing number to when your present contract expires?
Any ideas/comments/suggestions anyone?